Try your hand at answering these riddles:
1. Ang ina ay gumagapang pa, ang anak ay umuupo na. (The mother still crawls, but the child already sits down.)
2. Ito ay napagsasalaminan, huwag lang kayong maggagalawan. (Your reflection can be seen here, as long as you’re not moving.)
3. Pritong saging sa kalan, lumutong pagkat dinamitan. (Bananas frying in the pan become crispy when they’re clothed.)
4. Sa tingin mo ay mainit, ummuusok sa paligid. Pero hipuin at malamig. (You think it’s hot, with steam around it. But touch it and it’s cold.)
5. May kamay, walang paa. May mukha, walang mata. (It has hands, but no feet; a face, but no eyes.)
Answers will be posted a week from today! Have fun!
— UPDATED: July 27, 2005:
For those asking for more bugtong (Filipino riddles) you’ll be glad to know we have a page full of riddles, and you can find the compilation in this page: Mga Bugtong / Filipino riddles.
Have fun guessing ‘em!