One of our readers requested some riddles (bugtong) about animals. Here are five for you to take a shot at:
1. Nang maliit ay sumisisid pa, Nang lumaki ay patalon-talon na. (When it was young, it swam underwater. When it got bigger, it jumped.)
2. Dalawang patukod-langit, Apat na patukod-lupa, Dalawang pagaspas, Isang pamaspas. (Two posts pointing heavenward, four posts pointing to the ground, two fans, one fly-swatter).
3. Alin kayang insekto, malaki ang mata kaysa ulo? (Which insect has eyes bigger than its head?)
4. Matanda na ang nuno, Di pa naliligo. (The troll has gotten older, yet this animal has not yet taken a bath.)
5. Sa araw ay nahihimbing, Sa gabi ay gising. (It sleeps during the day, and is awake at night.)
I tried my hardest to translate these, especially #2. If you have a better translation, please post it in the comments.
I will post the answers next week, on Tuesday, June 26. If you need the answers before then, please email me at maricar-at-b5media-dot-com and I’ll send them to you.
UPDATE: Find the answers in this post.
— UPDATED: July 27, 2005:
For those asking for more bugtong (Filipino riddles) you’ll be glad to know we have a page full of riddles, and you can find the compilation in this page: Mga Bugtong / Filipino riddles.
Have fun guessing ‘em!
source: Bugtong by Santos and Torres